I received an order for a cake to coordinate with a Serena & Lily bedding swatch. The mom-to-be was not finding out the gender and chose the Dylan Bedding Collection for the nursery. At first, I was a bit intimidated by the design but then realized the potential for a really cute cake!
|Dylan bedding from Serena & Lily|
I wanted to recreate the whimsical feel of the tan-ish lines that surround the animals by painting edible paint onto fondant. It wasn't perfect and that's what I loved about it.
I found the vintage animal cookie cutters through a lady on Etsy. They are extremely old and definitely one of a kind, which makes them very cool. They even came in their original tin. Not sure what I would have done if I hadn't found them... but good thing I didn't have to worry about that.
I also wanted to incorporate the natural fibers they used on the bedding bumper ties. I found a burlap-looking ribbon made out of partial silk. I functioned more like ribbon than burlap which is what I wanted while maintaining that natural fiber look. I'm pretty sure I got several spools of that good stuff.
She also ordered some cookies for the favors. I used the vintage animal cutters again to make giraffes and elephants.
Happy Baby Shower Erin! I can't wait to hear if it's a BOY or GIRL!!!